Left Foot, Right Foot, Repeat . . .

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Week 7, Day 2

Miles: 4
Miles/Week: 4/17
Conditions: Snow, snow and more SNOW

Yeah. I've been sucking at training. Ever since this bunion showed up I've sort of lost my drive. I only got in 6 miles last week.

I think the hardest part is figuring out whether or not I believe the bunion is an excuse or a reason for my training issue. It was certainly the instigator.

So what I'm thinking is I really should just go back to my plan and see what happens. If the pain comes back, well then I'll just have to decide then. But how does one go about getting back that lost drive to train? Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Have you checked out Runner's World magazine (or their website)? They have lots of helpful training tips, running schedules, calendars, etc... Two of my former bosses relied up on that info heavily when training for marathons and triathlons. Tips like making sure your rest day is the day after your longest run are really helpful. Also, you should mix your runs up: a day of sprints, a day that is a longer run at a slower pace, one day a shorter, faster pace, a day of hills... Don't just try to run at the same speed all the time, adding an extra mile each time.

    You might also see if there's a store in your area that caters specifically to runners. Such stores have trained professionals who can analyze your stride, gait and feet and can then recommend specific shoes based on whether you need motion control, over/under pronate, etc...

    Also, take note of the way your foot hits the ground or treadmill. People have a tendency to run only on their toes. Not only is that really bad for your feet, knees and shins, but it could be what is aggravating your bunion. The WHOLE FOOT is meant to be used in any and all types of physical activity. The proper foot motion is "heel-ball-toe". Your heel should strike the ground/treadmill first, then you roll through the ball of the foot, to the toe. Not only is this the most energy efficient way to move, it also provides the fastest pace. Discovery actually did an article about this recently.

    ReplyDelete