Left Foot, Right Foot, Repeat . . .

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 4, Day 7

Miles Today: 6
Miles/Week: 9/15
Conditions: 67 in basement

Saw the doc about my foot on Friday. I've got a bunion in my right foot. Arg. He assured me it isn't just an old people ailment, but it still sounds geriatric. Apparently it can only be 'fixed' with surgery, but since I'm committed to this training program we're going to try to limp it along until after the marathon and then see where we are.

So, Doc gave me a couple shots in the foot and that really helped. He did say no working out on Friday night, so that pushed my 4 miles to Saturday night. I did get the 4 in but it was slow as I wanted to take it easy and see how my foot reacted. It seemed to do pretty well and I got all the miles in.

Today I'm supposed to do 6, but I'm not sure if I'll get it all in. I'll sure try.

I'm bummed about the fact my foot won't get any better, but at least we have been able to make it feel better in the mean time. Dumb bunion.

1 comment:

  1. I figured that would be the diagnosis. I have 'em, too. Always have. Was blessed to be born with the feet of my mother and grandmother. And I've been a successful group fitness instructor, personal trainer and avid exerciser all my life. Sure they hurt like hell sometimes, and they protest when I do more running than less, or when I change shoes, but it's still better than invasive foot surgery. Though the little old ladies in my senior citizens' aerobics class tell me the procedures are much improved over what they once were, I still say DON'T DO IT! ...unless you absolutely have to. A fellow fitness instructor had surgery on her feet, and exercising has not been comfortable for her since. In fact, she doesn't even teach or work out anymore.

    Icing the area helps. So does yoga, since it helps you learn how to strengthen and stretch the foot muscles. I've found that if I make an effort to take my shoes off after exercise, and sit here with them on this foot massager made of rolling wooden beads (looks like an abacus to me!) while I'm at the computer, that makes a HUGE difference.

    Hang in there! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete